Thursday, May 28, 2009

Unofficial Denver Burger Review


Recently I found myself in Denver, and a fellow burger fanatic recommended that I check out the Cherry Cricket while I was there. It was a tad out of my way, but I headed over there on the way from the airport to my hotel. Best. Diversion. Ever.

While this is not an official review, since I was the only one there, it was so good, it merited a post

what we (I) love: This was a nearly perfect bar burger (9.5/10) The meat was juicy, perfectly cooked, and on a standard no frills bun. And then there was the deep fried macaroni and cheese...

what I could live without: The fact it is in denver. I need one of these in the west village.

burger scale: A+

price range: $8 for the burger with bacon and cheese (this is the midwest afterall - cheaper than In&Out!!!)

payment method: cash

This is a standard, nothing out of the ordinary bar spot. It's across the street from a mall, and it has a variety of sports playing on plasma's over the bar, but it is by no means a sports bar. There are pinball machines in the back, and comfy vinyl booths abound.

The service was lightning fast. I ordered a soda and seconds later a midwest-sized vat of coca-cola appeared in front of me. Mere minutes later I was jamming deep fried macaroni and cheese triangles dipped in ranch dressing in my mouth as fast as possible (trust me, these are much better than they sound)

Then came the burger. I ordered mine with smoked cheddar and bacon. Lets just say that smoked cheddar will be something I will be on the lookout for from now on. The bacon was good, but my only complaint was that it was a tad on the thin side, but it was perfectly cooked. (perhaps I am too used to the metropolitan thick cut bacon that is ubiquitous in manhattan these days) The meat was perfect, and perfectly cooked. The bun was the soft sesame style bun that holds the burger and its juices perfectly without disintegrating. And the pickle and other shrubbery were actually cold; a nod to the "hot side hot, cool side cool" days of yore.

We also split an order of "Frings" which is basically a basket of half onion rings, and half fries. They were perfectly fried and crispy, and were the ideal accompaniment.

If you find yourself on a plane landing in Denver, you will want to hit this place up on the way to your hotel. You will not be disappointed.




No comments:

Post a Comment